Saturday 29 October 2011

Halloween in Hollis


Have you ever seen the movie Hocus Pocus, at the beginning when the children are all trick-or-treating on the streets of the children who are the actors in the movie? This is a Disney version of what Halloween should look? Well, that's my street on Halloween.

I do not know if its the appearance of larger Victorian "haunted" houses that look like they could be the key-down (houses) that brings the crowds to my neighborhood, but for some reason we still Halloween Central.

My neighbors across the street for example, cover them perfectly round yew hedges with the yellow light they see light giant pumpkins. They complement that with scary sounds emitting from the hidden speakers and also the project spooky sight of an outdoor unit of the house to watch because it has a face!

Right down the street, on Ash Street, there are a variety of carved pumpkins construed as if its a reproduction of Spooky World, with all 20 or more pumpkins dramatically burn! It's pretty cool!

Halloween always starts the same. First, with the little children come to work with mom or pop, barely able to make the steps. They ogle the decorations - so charmingly curious of the whole experience.

Often, these little babies walked right into the house and want to look around. They do not quite the concept, and their curiosity grows outside the front porch. After that came the children in all the latest costumes and trying to guess who they are dressed as can be challenging as a parent! Then the teens - girls usually in costumes, boys in hoodies and keep pillowcases. Think it's just not "cool" to a teenage boy and dressing (although some do buck the trend)!

Yes, it's been years since my son trick-or-treating and Halloween is still a big event for me and my husband. He leaves work early that day because he did not want the "parade" of costumes to miss and he liked the candy and goofily calling on the various ghouls, princesses or zombies that come to pass.

There are years when our fears over candy, but then, of course, that never happened, see if my hubby to pick pieces 300 or Plus! I will always remember the year my son at home would get excited that he is a full-size candy bar (not that cheap bite-size types) received from the people on Herbert Road (Messina)! I've always wanted the family to give that full-size candy bars ... but unfortunately not this year!

I remember when I was a child, we would trick or treat at my aunt's street (we lived on a big street, so we will be exported) and in the days when people actually gave out homemade cookies and (God forbid) an apple! The appeal, by the way, was their own site. How cool is that? I even remember my mom those little bags of chips (hunting, if I remember correctly) will buy and will give a full-size candy bar at our Halloween visitors. Oh this Halloween Halcyon days!

I love it that the parents are dressed, supplementing their children costumes sometimes. The best ever was when my neighbor (do not worry, I'm not naming you!), Cruella DeVille dressed as the little one was a dalmatian! Oh my gosh, he looks so authentic! From that point on, my respect for him a thousand-fold! What a sport!

I am lucky that I live in a fun environment Halloween and I hope my neighbors will not be angry that I wrote it! Because when it comes to press Friday I suggest that they better go to the store and pick up a few bags of tootsie rolls!

No comments:

Post a Comment